Thursday, October 4, 2007

Thoughts about languages

Good morning Professor D. Lauro.
English is my second language .I will tell what process go on in my head.Yes I still think in my native language.The sentancis structure is different. The direct translation of words doesn't bear the same meanings of thoughts this convey to the misunderstanding.I know over time if I constantlly will read, write, speak,and practice I will think in English. I hardly wait this moment.And this process already starts.Sometimes when I look for a word in a dictionary and the dictionar gives me the traslation of the word, I know the meaning is not right. I don't translat phrases wich I use evry day .They stay in my head in English.The langauges are change over time but I thought the basic will remain unchangeable.
Natalia Gaiser

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's exciting that you can actually "see" the moment where you start to think in English. Do you find very many differences in the way things are translated from Russian? I mean, I wonder if we can ever really translate anything, or if we can only make really strong guesses about what words mean in different languages, you know?

anastasia said...

Dear ProfessorD.Lauro.
Just now in my head runnimg thoughts because I don't shure if I got what do you mean.I know the translation of every word but I don't shore if I got the idea.Because something is leaking and I know What and Where.
First in Russian language the sentecis "can ever really translate anything" will have a addit's words and will mean like- if the necessity of translations will vanished.But again it is not exsactly.Second to understand this phrase need know not only the translations but meanings of words ever, really, anithing.Go to the subject it will be a wonderful time if we can understand each ether without translation.This will be look like in good family couple, who live tugether many years they take a look at each ether and they know what he or she tihks.YES it possibility,because the amount of the international word has grown every year.Maby we coul understand not every word but phrase. Possibility.And sometimes it happened for example,in doctor office when do they ask and use the word in medical terms and I know what is mean because the word is the same in many langauges.

Sincerely yous student Natalia

Thank you for your response.